FabFilter User Forum

Ideal input level for Pro-L?

Hello, I'm demoing the Pro-L for mastering.

Prior to mastering, I mix down to a 24-bit, 44.1k stereo .wav file with a maximum peak signal of - 6dB (though sometimes the peak level of the pre-mastered file is one or two dB lower).

Is there an ideal input level for optimal results with the Pro-L?

More specifically, is there any advantage in raising the level going into the Pro-L (for example, by using Logic's Gain Plugin)?

Thanks.
Tim

Tim Robert

Hi Tim,

Good question! Simple answer: no, there is no difference between raising the input level before Pro-L, or adding more Gain via the Gain slider in Pro-L... the result is 100% the same :-)

Cheers,

Floris (FabFilter)

Thanks, Floris! That's good to know.

One follow up question, then - is there any guideline as far as a maximum input level for the Pro-L that should not be exceeded?

Thanks again :)
Tim

Tim Robert

Look at it this way, If there is a peak, the limiter acts and you will see the amount of compression in the Pro-L indicator. The louder your mix is going into the Limiter, the more the limiter will act and you will loose dynamics.

A trick I use when I start making a track (I make house music) is that I set the loudest noise in the track that I will use and that in this case is the kick. Once I have it at the level where it doesn't act on the compression of the limiter at all or barely, that is when I know I have a good level.

From then on, I can take away the limiter if I want and just concentrate on the track while keeping the kick as a volume reference to the other material. As long as I use sidechain etc. I know Im pretty safe overall with the levels.

So where I'm trying to get with this is that beware of your source material, too loud and the limiter will act too much and you will loose dynamics. Lower input volumes is not really a problem since you can always turn it up, right?

Fred

Reply to this topic: