FabFilter User Forum

Pro C, gain increase while using side-chain

I'm experiencing something I can't quite wrap my mind around while using Pro C with my present DAW, FL Studio.

There is a significant volume increase when using the external side chain option on a mixer track in which I add Pro C as an effect, this happens exclusivly when letting the signal run through the compressor without the external material generating a detection signal for the compressor to do any actual side chainging. It is basically, significantly louder when switching between "int" and "ext" in the advanced menu of Pro C.

I'm adding a second comp in the mixer, to avoid spikes in volume while letting the clean signal run through right now. But it feels a bit strange to hear the difference in gain.

Perhaps this is so as a design choise, in any case, perhaps someone can enlighten me as why this happens? :)

Robert Halvarsson

Is "auto make-up" (the button labeled "auto" above the output volume on the right) activated? I always deactivate auto make-up gaining on sidechaining compressors because for one reason or another that doesn't work so well.

without Auto gain you shouldn't see a rise in volume. That's how it works for me anyway.

Bas

Reply to this topic: