FabFilter User Forum

Saturn on my Mixbuss

Hey Fab:

So I've always pretty much used things like Saturn and other Dat/Dist plugins on individual channels. But i'm mixing a song right now and I decided to give Saturn a go on my mixbus and I really like it. Just on gentle saturation setting about 50% drive and 50% mix. really seems to clarify and open up the high end.

However, it also seems to be robbing the low end of a little thump. So I split the freq at around 500Hz.

But, it seems regardless if weather I turn the power button off on the low side, or just turn the mix to 0% there still seems to be something changed about the low end. Am I missing something?

Also, used the Pro-C for sidechain ducking duties for the first time and in mid-side mode......holy shite! played with the detector freq on the low end and now my pads and synths (bussed together) are ducking in the midddle but playing beautifully in the left and right stereo field. An amazing product. I've had it a while and don't know why I haven't used it for this before.

Thanks for reading and replying if you have time.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

FabFilter Saturn always applies some soft limiting on its output, mainly to ensure it won't completely go out of range when you press it hard. :-) You can try reducing the output gain a little, and recompensating the output gain later on (e.g. using Pro-L).

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Reply to this topic: