FabFilter User Forum

Twin 2 Instruments Stop Playing When Clicking on Track

I am using Cubase 7 64bit in Windows 7 64bit. For convenience I am using FabFilter in instrument tracks rather than creating VST instruments.

What Happens:

I have one instance of Twin 2 in a project. I click on it's track. Twin 2 will generally stop making sound until loop returns to the start locator.

I have multiple instances of Twin 2 in a project. I click on a track for anyone of them, and most if not all Twin 2 tracks stop making sound until loop returns to the start locator.

Since I am constantly clicking on tracks, tweaking things, this behavior can occur pretty much non-stop and is both jarring and inconvenient in the workflow. None of my other soft synths are doing this.

G.

Greg Houston

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the report: I can confirm this problem. It actually looks like a bug in Cubase to me: Cubase sends a message to the instrument plugin that processing has stopped and restarted. According to the VST3 specification, the plugin can use this to reset buffers. Generally this is used to avoid old audio in delay buffers to interfere with new audio when you e.g. click to a different position in the timeline. FabFilter Twin 2 ends the current sustained notes when this message comes in, which causes the effect you're describing.

I've contacted Steinberg to ask for clarification.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

It turns out that the new ASIO Guard feature in Cubase 7 is responsible for this:
www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/details-on-asio-guard-in-cubase-and-nuendo

ASIO Guard is should be disabled automatically for instrument plugins. However, the VST3 version of FabFilter Twin 2 is marked as a "synthesizer effect" so it can also receive audio input for the external side chain. This causes Cubase to enable it for ASIO Guard by default.

With Devices > Plugin Information, you can disable ASIO Guard for the VST3 version of Twin 2. Locate Twin 2 and scroll to the far right to uncheck the option.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Thanks Frederik! Will give that a go this evening.

Greg Houston

Just a follow up to confirm that this indeed fixed the issue for me.

Thanks.

Greg Houston

Reply to this topic: