FabFilter User Forum

number of samples of latency for fab plugins

Real simple question here: waves and softube both pubish the exact number of samples of latency for their plugins. I only work with zero sample latency plugins, which includes all softube and most waves.

Is there a location where I can find the precise sample latency of FF plugins? Thanks.

David

Hi David,

Most of our plug-ins are zero-latency (or have a zero-latency option at least).

Only FabFilter Pro-L has a minimum latency, because true trasparent limiting isn't possible without introducing latency. However, the actual latency depends on the sample rate you're running, and on Pro-L's settings, but it's always at least more than 5 ms.

Cheers,

Floris (FabFIlter)

Hello,

I think latency should be managed at the project level within an audio workstation.

I am using Reaper which provide an overall latency display per channel (seen, in sample unit, bottom left corner of any FX window).
Be aware that using FabFilter Pro-Q in "Linear Phase" mode will add latency depending on the mode you choose, the "Zero Latency", obviously, does not.
FabFilter Pro-L and Pro-DS will introduce latency (and this is normal).

0 latency could be crucial in some situations (live mixing, recording) however some audio corrections will require this delay to compute. This delay/latency is actually well managed by Digital Audio Workstation through the "delay compensation" feature for all audio channels and FX running.

Cheers.

braindub

Pro-DS can actually work in zero latency mode if you disable look-ahead and set it to wide band mode.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Hi, i m working with nuendo and RME madi card . I have almost 20ms of latency when i use fabfilter pro ds in split band and a look ahead of 1 ms is this usual????
cheers
S.

sebastien

That is a normal latency if you use lookahead and the split band mode.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

In logic, latency compensation is available but may not be applied to aux tracks by default (at least this was the case in my setup). The result is a noticeable flam effect on busses or multi-out instruments (notably NI Battery) during playback.

The solution is under Logic preferences > Audio > General, in the plug-in latency section. There is a drop down for where to apply compensation, change this to 'all' to get compensation applied everywhere, including aux tracks. Obviously this doesn't help for live / recording.

Hope this saves someone a bit of time!

Martin Traverse

Reply to this topic: