FabFilter User Forum

PRO-Q: Should I use Linear or Zero Latency Mode

Hello;

I sometimes get confused with pro-q modes. What is the biggest difference between linear and zero modes?

Linear mode is giving me better sound quality but more cpu usage or it's just analog-ish sound?

I red the manual a few times and I have been using pro-q since years but i'm still getting confused with modes.

I use Zero latency mode while eq-in channels and busses and I am using medium latency linear mode on my master channel or for mastering purpose. Is it right?

What is your suggestion? Why should I jump around between modes?

Ps: New updates working great. thank you.

Best
Emrah

Emrah

zero latency = minimum phase mode

That means filter "rings" after the transient. This is the way analog world works. Changing the frequency response means you change the phase in that area too.

linear modes

It is linear phase type filter. You change the frequency, but phase stays the same. But the filter rings before the transient as well as after. How long? It depends on how you set the filter. The steeper the more it rings (that also applies to the minimum-phase filer). In low-latency modes this can get you quite audible fade-ins before every beat. Try to eq (bottom of the) snare for example and you'll hear it right away. High latency modes make this less of the problem, but it is still there just less obvious.

Matous

Hi Emrah,

Good question!

Normally, linear phase processing is a 'problem solver'. You might use it when mixing various tracks that have similar phase content (for example, a drum kit recorded with various mics). Using linear phase in such a case, EQ'ing in one of the tracks, will not change the sound of the others.

Simpest thing to remember is: normally during mixing, you can simply use Zero Latency mode, but when this is giving you phase problems (like the example above), you can use one of the linear phase modes). Higher latency modes are needed when you use steeper filtering.

Floris (FabFIlter)

Reply to this topic: