FabFilter User Forum
Volcano Feature Request
Basically the bands need to be "fixed" in order to properly be mapped to their automation lanes in the DAW. It's no problem to re-order the filters inside the plug-in, for example swap band 3 and 1 to be band 1 and 2 instead. However, if there is automation written for band 3 and 1, swapping over the bands in the plug-in would cause a mismatch between the written automation.
In Pro-Q 4 or the filter in Timeless, which are linear filters, the difference does not really matter. But since Volcano's filters can be non-linear, you are right that the order does make a difference. But I'm afraid we need a bit of structure in band order to allow for proper communication with the host.
Ralph (FabFilter)
— Aug 14, 2026
In Volcano there is a little button to switch between the different filters you have created for adjusting their properties, but when I first saw it I imagined it was for quickly changing which "number" the filter has, to complement the different routing options.
Unless there is a better way, to reorder which filters go in what order requires a lot of foresight and intent which I do not have, or, in the worst case scenario, deleting all of the filters and reassigning their modulation.
And I suppose this can apply to the other places where multiple filter routing is present, like Twin, Timeless, etc.
Either way, I am curious as to why the routing isn't "drag and drop" or something as flexible.